Once the plane dipped into the clouds, the stars faded from the sky and the dense galaxy of Mexico City lights appeared spread out below us. While American city lights reflect systematically square streets, Mexico City lights wind and twist
randomly for miles and miles. For a moment my perspective was jerked out of the walls that always make our world seem small and accessible. No one really knows how many people live in Mexico City. Too many to count. Estimates have placed the Federal District at around 18 million. If you include the surrounding areas that Mexico City has swallowed up, it's somewhere between 25 and 30 million. Many consider it the biggest city in the world and it can be the one of the loneliest places on earth. How does one find purpose in a city that can't even account for 5 million of it's citizen's?
Noticable or not, my parents have given their lives to love on some chilangos. For the past five years, my family has ministered to a church that my dad planted and they met in my parent's house until last May. They began to rent a two acre recreational park every Sunday and I got to see it for the first time this past weekend. In a concrete jungle like the one we're in, I didn't
expect this park to be everything that a church of 90 people needed. But it is! I know I said I wouldn't share too many details but dude, this place is chido (cool)! It's got a playground, a big room with a bar, a pool, a volleyball court, and an indoor futbol court! I can't wait to play some authentic futbol with the youth. And did I mention it's all on a steep hill? Well, it's all on a steep hill. Coming from the flat of the flatlands, I think the hill adds character. The park is called Cholita and it's a beautiful getaway from the concrete jungle.
expect this park to be everything that a church of 90 people needed. But it is! I know I said I wouldn't share too many details but dude, this place is chido (cool)! It's got a playground, a big room with a bar, a pool, a volleyball court, and an indoor futbol court! I can't wait to play some authentic futbol with the youth. And did I mention it's all on a steep hill? Well, it's all on a steep hill. Coming from the flat of the flatlands, I think the hill adds character. The park is called Cholita and it's a beautiful getaway from the concrete jungle.In a way, I dropped into this church at the climactic event of the year. They had a Christmas musical drama on Sunday night and even though the temperature was in the 40's (very cold for Mexico City [I know, you're jealous]) they attracted about 100 visitors which is bigger than the church itself! People where standing outside the building and watching the drama through the
windows! My mom wrote the script, my dad translated the music, my sister figured out the piano parts by ear and had a vocal solo, and the actors and children's choir gave their all that night. (You can look at more pics from the event at my mom's blog.) This church is smaller than what I'm used to, but I'm getting some spine chilling vibes from their joyful faces. Everyone seemed very close knit and glad to spend hours and hours together preparing for the big event. I mean, Mexico is generally a more hospitable country than the States, but this crew is doubly hospitable. You can look forward to hearing more about them and their stories. I'll try to explore why they are incredibly happy together.
windows! My mom wrote the script, my dad translated the music, my sister figured out the piano parts by ear and had a vocal solo, and the actors and children's choir gave their all that night. (You can look at more pics from the event at my mom's blog.) This church is smaller than what I'm used to, but I'm getting some spine chilling vibes from their joyful faces. Everyone seemed very close knit and glad to spend hours and hours together preparing for the big event. I mean, Mexico is generally a more hospitable country than the States, but this crew is doubly hospitable. You can look forward to hearing more about them and their stories. I'll try to explore why they are incredibly happy together.Well, you are most likely aware that some big holidays are coming up and I wish you all a great one! However, yours won't be nearly as chido as mine because I've already witnessed seven doomed piñatas get bashed to a pulp! Alright fine, I guess Christmas isn't about bashing piñatas or even dodging the kid doing the bashing to snatch the candy.
0 comments:
Post a Comment