My Dad has a really good collection of books that I enjoyed quite a bit. Here are some books I read in order from most recommended to least:
1) "Anthropological Reflections on Missiological Issues" by Paul G. Heibert
You might need a dictionary for the first few chapters but the rest is fantastic. It disillusioned me to a lot of ministry and missions philosophies and got me thinking outside of our box of traditions and more on track with the Bible. This book gets the Nathaniel Spring '10 Book Award!
2) "Martin Luther Had a Wife" by William J. Petersen
Glimpses of the marriages of historical Christian leaders such as: Martin Luther, Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley.
3) "Harriet Breecher Stowe Had a Husband" by William J. Petersen
John Calvin, William Cary, Adoniram Judson.
4) "Adoniram Judson" by Faith Cox Bailey
Biography of the first American missionary. Clearly one of the coolest missionaries ever! His life was full of unexpected twists and turns in the jungles of Burma.
5) "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J. K. Rowling
Delightfully funny and wonderfully written. Haven't finished it yet but so far I don't know why this book is so controversial in Christian circles. Read it to my sisters with a British accent and had lot's of fun.
6) "The Supremacy of God In Preaching" by John Piper
An argument for the need of God's greatness to be preached and a brief look at how Jonathan Edwards accomplished this task. I highly recommend John Piper's messages at desiringgod.org
7) "The Gospel According to Rome" by James G. McCarthy
A very thorough study of Roman Catholic theology and practices and how they contradict Scripture.
8) "A Brief History of Mexico" by Lynn V. Foster
9) "Lectures to My Students" by Charles Spurgeon
Heavier on the practical side of ministry than theology. Some lectures seem to drag on and on.
10) "The Book of Romance: What Solomon Says About Love, Sex, and Romance" by Tommy Nelson
Falsely advertised as a study of "Song of Solomon". It's mostly Tommy Nelson's advise for relationships. Although he has a ton of really good stuff in here, most doesn't come from Solomon which kind of ruins it for me. However, the small portions that comment on the Song of Solomon are pretty excellent.
11) "How America Lost Her Innocence: A History of the Sexual Revolution" by Steve Gallagher
12) "John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology" by various authors
The first few chapters are good introductions to John Calvin. But I would rather read Calvin's own works than read this dry book.
13) "Taste and See" by John Piper
Hundreds of small Piper-meditations for devotional use. After reading about 50 I realized I would rather spend more time in the Bible and listen to Piper's messages than read this book. I highly recommend John Piper's messages at desiringgod.org
14) "In Spite of Ourselves..." by Beulah Pinkston
A brief look at the missionary lives of the Pinkstons. I enjoyed it because I knew the Pinkstons and my family worked with them in the ministry. But I would not recommend it to anyone who is not intensly interested in the history of Mexican missions.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment